Monday, January 12, 2009

Greetings from Grenada

So the talk is over! I arrived in Grenada(pronounced grenAda). That is my best attempt at phonetically correct spelling. We flew out of Atlanta at around 0900 Saturday morning on Air Jamaica and landed in Montego Bay at around 12:00. Walked off the plane and the first thing I saw was a shirt, worn by a local gentleman with dreadlocks, that said "Yes We Can". Barack Obama made it into about every duty free store I passed. I stopped in at Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville" Jamaica chapter for a little lunch. Good fish tacos but very expensive! My flight to Grenada was delayed for about and 1.5 hours so I was able to get alot of reading done. We arrived in Grenada and everyone on the plane(mostly students) made a mad dash to get in line for passport checks. After getting a student visa, I went to baggage claim to see if my bags made the trip. Luckily both bags made it and I headed for customs where I had to claim my computer. They made me pay $36 to bring my computer in the country but I was expecting to have to pay other taxes so I was pretty happy about that. When I was all through with customs I went outside where I was met by to guys assigning new students rooms. Apparently we weren't supposed to get here till Monday or Tuesday but I think every semester they have a few that can't follow instructions. Oh well the way I look at it, I got a cheaper flight than anyone I have talked to so far and 3-4 days of vacation. Anyways, the two guys had to call the dorm manager and find out what room I was in. Myself and a first year vet student grabbed a taxi to campus and were dropped off at our dorms. We met the RA and she assigned us keys. I through my bags in my room and went off to find my buddy, Brandon, who was already down here. After wondering around in the dark for a while I found his room. I sent Mom an email letting her know I arrived safely and then went back to my room to get unpacked. I finally got all my things put away and I passed out in my very small bed! Day #1

No comments:

Post a Comment