Monday, January 12, 2009

Vacation?

I woke up pretty late Sunday morning. I had no pillow so I used two beach towels for substitutes. I jumped in the new shower which has the best shower head and shower pressure of any one I have ever been in. It is so intense that it makes a tropical storm in the bathroom when you turn it on. It was a little intimidating at first but I quickly warmed up to it. I met Brandon for a little bible study thing he goes to and afterwards we took a bus to get a bite to eat. I had a chicken sandwich and a Ting(Some kind of Lemon/Lime drink). Pretty good. After eating we went over to "The Mall" where the IGA(grocery store) was located and I bought a few essential idems(Coffee, Cereal, Milk, Juice, Bread, and deli meat). I payed $182 EC for it all which is about $67 US. It is pretty tricky trying to convert all the prices while comparing prices back in the states. After loading it all up in my backpack we walked across the street to Grand Anse beach to take a look around. This is probably one of the most popular beaches in Grenada and you can see St. George the capital and main harbor. I am not sure what I was expecting but Grenada is very mountainous! So in certain spots there are beaches and then in others the waves meet 15-20ft cliffs. We caught the bus, which stops at the beach and grocery store, back to the campus so Brandon could register for classes. I came back to my room put my groceries away, repacked my bags with towel and snorkeling gear and headed back for the beach. I caught the bus back down and just walked around for a while taking in the view. I set down to eat my "sweet and sour" bar and I was approached by a Grenadian local. He inquired about one of my granola bars and so we set on this little pier while he explained how his boat had crashed. This boat was about the size of a bathtub and had lost quite a bit of fiberglass from the sides. He asked me if I could help him out with a little bus money and since he had shown me how to make a horn out of a seashell I felt like I could spare a dollar. Pretty neat trick and very loud!! After a while I decided I better get moving so that I didn't get caught at the beach before the buses quit running. Little did I know they already had so I had a nice walk back to campus. About 3.5 miles. It was probably 75 degrees, nice breeze, and the sun was setting so it made the trip pretty enjoyable. When I got back to campus I grabbed a quick shower, a nap and then I headed out to Banana's(local food joint) for some grub with Brandon and some of his crew! Day 2

4 comments:

  1. I love you blog and all the details. Daddy will love it, too. He loves to talk. HA HA Can't wait for you to get a camera. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very expensive food!! Maybe you should have packed more food in your suitcase:) Your blog is amusing. I can't believe you gave that guy money, what would daddy have done in that situation:O Can't wait to hear about your adventures, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about your adventures. Keep us all informed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So did you snorkel? And $67 for 5 items, how much of each did you buy?? Geez! Is your roommate there yet???

    ReplyDelete